Friday, June 10, 2011

Congress

Out of nowhere, I've asked, "What if I had a different route in life which leads me to work in public office?"

"What if life had bumped me to step in the dirty world of politics?"

"What could have been my post?"

"Can I be an effective public official?" 

I was daydreaming that if ever I won in the Lottery (yes, I place bets in Lotto), I was thinking of financing my political dream by having these simple steps: 

1. Hire a PR manager
2. Create my Power Team
3. Build my Legislative blueprint and draft an efficient and realistic platform for North Caloocan
4. Engage in Socio-Civic activities
5. Frame my campaign agenda

Five Simple Steps. I know it's not simple as that. 

Politics is really out of my league. My previous career has nothing to do with Politics. Having studied Political Science majoring in Public Administration, I was exposed in the government's intricacies. Moreover, it paved the way for yours truly to understand the social stigma politics had harbored over decades. I come from a poor family, and financing a career for politics, is really out in the equation. Imagine this, poor gay, running for public office = nuisance candidate. 

If it is to generalize that Politics is the world of the rich and famous, I totally agree. To state the obvious, our legislators, cabinet secretaries are affluent beings. So for starters like me, impecunious as it is, depends on winning the Lotto to finance this so-called political dream. 

Suddenly, I remembered what triggered this state of milieu. Our current residence is on a very tight dispute between us, the title-holders and Carmel Development Incorporated, headed by a real-estate tycoon, Greggy Araneta. Over 30,000 families are affected by Supreme Court's decision nullifying our land titles. Just a swift history, our land titles came off from a Presidential Decree during Martial Law. Then President Marcos declared a vast land here in North Caloocan as property of the government, and (he) distributed them to Malacanang officials and military. My dad, out of his humble savings from being an OFW  acquired almost 340 square meters of land from one of the government official. Couple of years later, CDI won through an SC decision. After 28 years, with all goodness, they still haven't got our land. Worst, informal settlers multiplied in no time. 

It is indeed difficult for CDI to claim such vast land. First, there are 30,000 families in this village, second, the SC decision was highly contested by our organization's counsels. 

Few days ago, a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) was granted by SC. This is for CDI to stop from doing illegal demolitions. CDI over the past several months started to initiate intimidation from informal settlers and resulted to a child being hit by a gun shot. They tried to tear down houses on an early morning - a great example of a baloney act. Araneta's tried to demolish houses without court sheriffs, and worst, no sight of policemen. It got in the news somehow. 

Some sort of concerned citizen group in Facebook had requested for support using the Fan Pages of Akbayan, Cong. Malapitan, Commission on Human Rights and Sen. Marcos. 

Yours truly have been very vocal in those pages and it did somehow ignited my clamor for justice and peace. I thought, this is the only way I can help not only my family but also our community. 

I've sent emails to Malacanang, Sen. Marcos and Cong. Malapitan. 

As usual these folks will just shrugged off from the issue. Nada, none, zero. My mailbox didn't get any replies. These folks will not touch on this case due to number one, they can't support us since Araneta is influential, number two, they are chickens. 

Then I thought, Senate and Congress are legislative form of government and may not be able to encroach upon the jurisdiction of a decided case from Judiciary. But as representatives of the people, they should know their duty to protect its people. 

Akbayan, through Rep. Colmenares did his job. Although he's not our Congressman, he stand firm and asked his colleagues to look into this matter. House Resolution was filed by his group instigating a committee to study and investigate. This is the first time, after 28 years that the Congress helped our community. 

Facebook comments flooded Akbayan and our community's  fan page. I was happy to see an overflowing of support to each and everyone. Things are different now in our community, but we are still on an alert. As for Congressman Malapitan's fan page, I can only see how proud he was with anti-rabbies projects. For Sen. Marcos, I feel he's not even existed. 

Going back to my dream, my community have spurred my desire for public service. On the second thought however, I know it will be such an honor, but the responsibility is overwhelming. 

OVERWHELMING. I just thought that all Congressmen should feel that way and ACT on it. Keyphrase: Sense of Urgency. 

Because if not, they're just wasting time, and squandering tax money - pork barrel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Are Always Welcome! :)